Monthly Archives: August 2012
The following quiz is to test your skill in reading and following directions. It should take you 2 minutes to complete.
- Read everything through carefully on this page before you do anything.
- Get a sheet of paper and a pencil.
- Print your name in the upper left-hand corner.
- Print today’s date below your name.
- Put a star next to your name.
- After the date written just below your name, write your birth date.
- Draw a line through today’s date.
- Put an “X” in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Write the number 9 then punch a hole through it with your pencil.
- Draw a big smiley face in the middle of the paper.
- Now that you have read everything through carefully, do only items 1 & 2.
How many of you actually had more on the paper than just your name? People often make mistakes following simple directions such as these, not because they aren’t listening or paying attention, but because they don’t read everything through carefully. This quiz was meant to test your skills in communication, listening, and following directions. My Health teacher told us that when he was in high school he was assigned a 75 question assignment and he did all 75 questions (like a good student). When it was time to turn in the assignment, he learned that he only had to do the even numbers. That one simple direction made a really big difference. The moral of the story is pay close attention to detail. You never know when you may need it the most, and always remember, work smarter not harder.
Read everything through carefully on this page before you do anything.
“No,” seems to be some parents’ favorite word. (Right after the phrase,”Because I said so!”) But there are some ways that they can be convinced, it just takes some time & work.
Be polite and mature when asking & show them why you deserve something new. Keep your grades up, do chores regularly, and even get a job. In short, demonstrate responsibility.
Yes, you read it right, there is an oil boom. Oil was newly discovered in North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Colorado through a process called fracking, in which the ground is shaken to force oil and natural gases onto the surface. It is suspected that there is more oil there than there is in Saudi Arabia. Because of this oil boom, we now have a surplus of oil; So much in fact, that it is believed that there’s enough for at least 100 years. Last year for the first time since 1961, the US exported more oil than we imported. So why is it that we are still paying $3.75 for gas? President Obama canceled the construction of an additional pipeline to protect the environment and its wild life.
- Oil boom brings scarcity of workers in small towns (amarillo.com)
- The fracking boom in North Dakota has just a few years to go (mining.com)
- Video: North Dakota oil boom fuels change (cbsnews.com)
- N.D. oil boom highlights price of prosperity (cbsnews.com)
Many people have the idea that immigration is a bad thing, whether it’s illegal or not, but the truth is, immigration is generally good. People probably believe that it is bad because they don’t quite understand what comes out of it. Here are a few facts concerning immigration:
Mark your calenders because history has been made! How does it feel to be a part of such a great advancement?
Yesterday marked the first day of Deferred Action, which prevents DREAMers from being deported. President Obama signed it after a series of hunger strikes & protests began in his campaign offices. This is what happens when DREAMers stick together; They can achieve anything.